Multiple holiday lets sleeping up to 8 guests in total
5 Cottages sleeping 4-8 (26)
5 lovely cottages in a stunning woodland setting in the South Hams Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Quack, Rose and Barleycorn Cottages sleep up to 4, Mill Cottage sleeps up to 6, Crownwheel Cottage sleeps 8. Groups - sleeps up to 26 adults.
Watermill Cottages are a cluster of stone cottages nestling alongside the Gara River, around them lie the woods, meadows and the steep sides of the valley. Located in the grounds of an 18th century mill and 20 acre small holding, these were once the barns, stables and workers’ cottages and each property has it’s own individual character and charm. You will find thick stone walls, beams, patchwork quilts and fleecy throws, and in each cottage, a log burner to keep things cosy. The buildings are no more than 150 metres’ distance of each other - great for groups of friends and family holidaying together.
There are no TV or phone signals here - so you can escape the excesses of the 21st century and really reconnect with each other and with nature. The grounds are a child’s paradise with a whole valley of woods and meadows to explore. Den making, building dams, pooh sticks and paddling - you can guarantee it won’t be just the kids! You will discover wildflower meadows and in spring, bluebells in the woods. Stroll down woodland paths alongside the waterfall studded stream. There is minimal traffic, so the soundtrack to your holiday is of the babble of the brook and of birdsong. At night there is no light pollution - lie on a blanket and star gaze.
The owners are justly proud of their eco credentials. Electricity is generated from a water turbine in the leat, supplying Barleycorn Cottage, the Old Mill and the office. 100% of the electricity used at Watermill Cottages is from renewable resources. Meat, vegetables and eggs from the small holding are available to guests. Ecover cleaning products are supplied in each cottage. Careful land management has seen the renovation of the old coppice, the cultivation of the orchard with its old Devon varieties of apple. Dormice and waterfowl inhabit the water meadows.
This is the perfect location for ‘coast and country holidays - the cottages are just 3 miles from the stretch of Slapton beach. There are plenty of beautiful beaches on this curve of the coast overlooking Start Bay - Blue Flag award winning Blackpool Sands is just 5.5 miles away, Beesands 6.7 and Hall Sands 8 miles. The attractive estuary towns of Dartmouth (8.5 miles) and Salcombe (13.8 miles) are both within easy reach and with their excellent range of cafes, galleries, independent shops, pubs and restaurants are the perfect places to potter. If you love message about in boats you will be spoilt for choice - choose from kayak and dinghy hire to sailing lessons and ferry cruises.
The closest villages are Slapton and Strete. Slapton boasts two dog-friendly pubs, whilst the pretty village of Strete is home to the popular The Laughing Monk restaurant.
Quack Cottage - ‘picture-perfect’ wisteria clad cottage. (sleeps up to 4)
- Open-plan living/dining room with exposed beams and wood burning stove
- Modern kitchen with fridge,freezer, electric oven and hob, washing machine, kettle, toaster and microwave.
- 3 bedrooms: 1 double bedroom, 2 singles (one downstairs)
- Bathroom with bath and shower over.
- Private south facing riverbank garden with picnic bench and deckchairs
Barleycorn Cottage - cosy beamed cottage (sleeps up to 5)
- Open plan kitchen/sitting room/ diner - the old granary grindstone is still in the kitchen floor! Woodburner in sitting room area.
- 2 bedrooms: 1 double, 1 twin (with room for z bed)
- Modern bathroom
- Fully-fenced garden
Rose Cottage - sunny south-facing cottage (sleeps up to 5).
- Living room with wood burner
- Large kitchen with dining table and chairs, electric cooker, microwave, kettle, toaster, fridge-freezer and its own washing machine.
- 2 Bedrooms: 1 double, 1 twin (with room for z bed), both with en-suite
- Decking area with valley views and picnic bench and BBQ..
- Lawned garden
Mill Cottage - former granary with valley views. ‘Upside down’ style accommodation. (sleeps up to 6)
- Open plan sitting room/kitchen/diner with wood burner. Kitchen has electric double oven, large fridge-freezer, microwave, toaster, kettle and its own washing machine.
- 3 bedrooms: 1 double, 1 twin, 1 bunk (2ft 6 inches)
- Bathroom with corner bath and shower over, & WC..
- Situated next to the brook. Pationwith potted flower and herbs.
Crownwheel Cottage - A riverside converted barn with some ground floor sleeping accommodation. (sleeps up to 8)
- Open plan kitchen/dining / sitting room. Sitting area with wood burner
- 2 downstairs bedrooms: 1 double, 1 bunk room (with room for z bed).
- Downstairs bathroom with bath and shower over & WC.
- Separate WC.
- Upstairs twin bedroom (with room for z bed).
- Upstairs bathroom with bath, shower over & WC.
- Riverside fenced patio with BBQ. Lawned garden and riverside walks through woods.
Situated in a secluded, wooded valley in the South Hams Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty - 5 lovely cottages nestled alongside the Gara Brook. Romantic, rural location with bluebell woods, wildflower meadows, babbling stream and waterfalls. Slapton beach 3 miles, Dartmouth 8.5 miles. The perfect 'get away from it all' location.